Tuesday, May 30, 2017

Kaiju!

So, apparently I have strong feelings about Godzilla.


 I've only seen the original, the one where he fights King Kong. the Godzilla in Name Only 90's film, and the newest one. Hardly a dent in the almost 30 total films.
 
But lately I find myself caring more, especially after watching the same-universe prequel, Kong: Skull Island. And if you haven't seen that, go see it.

Come for the cast, stay for the plot, effects, and general quality.

I realized I cared more about Godzilla than I thought when I read a  blog that in short order: (a) spelled lizard 'lizzard' repeatedly, (b) stated that Godzilla was "Kaiju" in Japanese, and (c) the author stated their favorite Godzilla movie was the 90s one. The one most of us call G.I.N.O. (Godzilla in Name Only), and the Japanese call Zilla, since the God was effectively removed.

Needless to say, I found myself getting ticked.

For an in-depth detailing of that films flaws, I refer you to the Nostalgia Critic.

It all got me pretty steamed. So apparently, I care about Godzilla. I had no idea.

But, there's a lot of good reasons to care! Firstly, I really liked the newer American movie.


Secondly,  Godzilla: King of the Monsters will have practical effects! It's been confirmed by director Michael Dougherty.



You may recall the director's names from such projects at Krampus, Trick r Treat, and X-Men 2. All excellent movies. So...as for my hopes...


And third, the Godzilla vs Kong movie that's coming has to be better than the original.


Whelp, now comes the time to try and convince myself I don't have to watch all the Kaiju movies to prep for this new universe...

At least I can watch MST3K handle a few.

No comments:

Post a Comment