Monday, June 20, 2016

An open letter to Peter Jackson

(Yes, I am also sending this to Mr. Jackson via snail mail, at the insistence of my husband. See the footnote for that address, if you want to send a letter too.)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

 Dear Mr. Jackson,

      I could not be more excited that you own the movie rights for Temeraire. I loved your interpretation of Lord of the Rings and The Hobbit. The Frighteners is comic gold. Nothing would be better than seeing you put those skills to work for Temeraire. I'm waiting for the last book to arrive; I haven't been so excited and saddened for a story's conclusion since Harry Potter.

     I've read that you're reluctant to start on the film because you're worried the first movie would fail and you wouldn't get to make the other books into their own films. I could argue for your star power drawing in fans, or point out that multiple movie stories are becoming more normalized with franchises like the Marvel Cinematic Universe and your own Hobbit. But I have another idea:

     Why not a mini-series?

     Game of Thrones has left a dragon-shaped hole in the public heart. What better way to fill it with an exciting epic of war, with talking dragons that are involved right from the start? I've every confidence that Weta could handle the Draconian effects needed to make this a reality. Please consider this. The fans are ready. The world is ready.

      I hope to see my favorite Celestial on the screen one day, large or small. It's all up to you, Mr. Jackson.

Best regards,
Shayna Shaw
 --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------


Peter Jackson
Weta Digital
Ltd.
P.O. Box 15208
9-11 Manuka Street
Miramar
Wellington 6022
New Zealand

1 comment:

  1. It is sad to say but PJ seems to be not very interested in the Temeraire series. He doesn't own the rights now. NN said that his rights were expired. :( I hope we will the movies or TV series one day though.

    ReplyDelete