Tuesday, May 9, 2017

Ro-Butts

There's been a lot of talk about advanced robots in the news lately. From Disney's advance/creepy Na'vi shaman...


Jimmy Fallon's cornucopia of creepiness (and butterflies!)...


To Bill Nye fighting (and losing to) a coffeepot.

Also a fridge, because why not.

 I didn't even like it when my smartphone figured out where I worked and started giving me updates on how long it would take to get home each day. Now I've got to deal with an uprising from the uncanny valley?



For anyone unfamiliar with the Uncanny Valley, watch this video. For anyone familiar with it, but wanting some extra-creepy examples, watch the video below. Warning: it is NOT funny. It features, among other things, a person with severe deformations from polio (portraying their drag personality and dance routine, so...yay?).


I think C.S. Lewis summed up my feelings for the look of most humanoid animations back in The Lion the Witch and the Wardrobe (though the quote was about witches, not robots):

“But in general, take my advice, when you meet anything that is going to be Human and isn’t yet, or used to be Human once and isn’t now, or ought to be Human and isn’t, you keep your eyes on it and feel for your hatchet.”

In movies, the uncanny valley can be used for either good or ill, especially when it comes to horror. But when it comes to real life, I'd rather not have to deal with it. I've always been a bit of a Luddite when it comes to learning new technology. Until they get over the valley, or back off from it entirely, I'd admire these advances from afar.

Or at least watch Markiplier be spooked by it.

No comments:

Post a Comment