Tuesday, August 8, 2017

The Dark Tower (spoiler free)

So, I saw The Dark Tower yesterday.

Honestly, if this movie came out any other time, IE not a month before the IT movie, I'd have been a lot more into it overall. It's not a bad film, and there are lots of fun easter eggs for King fans.

But this isn't the film I had hoped for; it's not an adaptation of the first book. It's not the introduction to a sprawling 8-book long epic. It's a capper to what came before. And for what it is, that's fine.

If you like the Gunslinger, and keep the fact that this is technically a sequel to the books in mind, you'll enjoy the references, and the performances of Elba and McConaghey. Just don't expect more than the bare bones of the story, with some alterations, and you'll be fine.

I may put out a more spoiler-heavy review in the future, once I've seen it again, reread the books, or had time for this to settle. But overall, it's fine.

Just fine.

No comments:

Post a Comment