Tuesday, February 5, 2013

Flash Fiction

Getting an idea is a thing of beauty. Trying to have an idea is a gut-busting shit storm.

Oakland University, my Alma Matter, has a flash fiction contest yearly. Flash fiction is a story less than 1000 words long. Usually it's got a twist ending. By definition it's just a quick jolt of writing.

I'm in the process of trying to have an idea for the contest. First, I though to do a POV from a child as a teacher tries to kill pod people in her classroom. It felt muddled and I couldn't get the kid's voice right. So, I tried a different tactic; a POV from a pod-person style child in the classroom, trying to complete their experiment on the hapless teacher. Mr. Spock meet Little Gray Men. But I'm still having trouble with it. The twist feels predictable. 

Not to mention it was basically a reversed POV from a great Stephen King short story.

So I'm back to square one. Trying to have an idea. 

What a bitch.

No comments:

Post a Comment