Monday, April 21, 2014

Five Things I love about Sailor Moon

     With the Sailor Moon manga being re-released and re-translated, and the new anime coming out soon, my interest in Sailor Moon has perked. I remember watching some episodes of the anime back in the 90's, but that was it for a long time. Now, I own/have read the entire library of manga. So, here's five of my favorite things about everyone's favorite pretty guardian.



5. The costumes.

     I am not a girly girl. I don't give a rats ass about fashion, as my friends will attest. But...SHE'S SO PRETTY!

     All of the Senshi have such cool outfits and wants and tiaras and boots and frilly things and GOOD GOD, LOOK AT THIS!

Do you have wings? No? Then shut up.


4. Girl Power

     In the manga more than the anime, Sailor Moon and the other Senshi save themselves: Tuxedo Mask helps, but usually the girls do fine by themselves. And that was a big deal to pre-teen me, when girl characters were boring, damsels, or at best Dot Warner.
 "I think this uniform needs something; something that says "I'm here to destroy you", but with a sense of fun."
   
Not that Dot wasn't amazing as well.  But that's another story.

3. Toon Maker's Sailor Moon

     You may have seen the infamous almost-was american remake clip of Sailor Moon. If not, check this out.


     Including space-sailboards, a sailor scout in a wheelchair, and the leftover fashion from Blossom, this never saw the light of day. But thankfully, some wag posted it on the internet, and we get a glimpse into a terrible alternative universe.

2. The massive cast of characters


     My personal fav is Sailor Jupiter, a big-boobed but kicker in green, with boots and a pony tail.
She's also a great cook.

     Don't like her? There's literally a sailor Senshi for every star in the sky, as well as a bunch of moons. And it's nit just chicks! Like a man's man? Tuxedo Mask. Like a gay man's man? Zoisite.  Nobody fit? Hell, make your own! Everyone else on the internet has done it...



1. The fact that a normal screwup kid is given the time and scope to blossom into a leader and have a character arc.

     Sailor Moon undergoes very complex persoanl growth thru the series. So do many of the other characters, but none as much as Usagi. It's wonderful to read along as she becomes what is essentially the guardian of the whole galaxy. Bravo, Naoko Takeuchi. Bravo.

Not to mention one of the few romances I actually give a crap about.




No comments:

Post a Comment