Thursday, June 19, 2014

Five things that are pointless but good

I love these pointless, useless things.

5. M&M Chocolate bar
     I love chocolate. Like, deeply. To a very u healthy extent. I'm a full-blown no joking addicted chocoholic. I'm in a good place with the brown demon and have no plans to get off the stuff.

     Even I was confused the first time I saw an M&M chocolate bar. M&Ms are fine by themselves (or occasionally in trail mix). Why stick them in the middle of a chocolate bar? I tried one this last Halloween, because cheap chocolate is cheap chocolate.

     It was incredible.

Something about a mouthful of M&M chocolate with just a few hints of candy shell is a whole 'nother experience from the standard M&M. I love 'em. I recommend them to my fellow addicts.

C'mon. The first taste is free.

4. Adventure Time

     I got sucked in to this fandom by my nieces and nephew. I blew through both seasons on netflix in under a week. At 11 minutes long, these shows are too short to be overly plotted, dramatic, or really anything other than a silly time waster.

     Yet it's beginning to get serious. There are plenty of theories online about what happened to Finn, Jake, and the Land of Ooo in the great Mushroom War to make everything the psuedo D&D format it is. I'm refraining from reading them because I hate spoilers more than Robert Jordan's Eye of the World series.

     I like the colors. I like the simple art. I like the voice actors, especially John DiMaggio, who you'd know better as a certain robot.

     I like the characters. Finn is a genuine good-hearted hero. Jake is a loyal brother who doesn't go behind Finn's back, or cheat on his girlfriend, or do most of the usual 'liar revealed' type plots you see in kids shows. They're nice guys who have fun in their world. And that's refreshing.

3. Robert Lynn Asprin's Myth Adventures

      Want a lighter than air fantasy read, no prophesies, no morals, just funny adventures? This is the series for you. Follow Skeeve the (semi) reformed thief, now magician and his demon mentor Aahz as they hop dimensions, get loot, solve problems, kill monsters, and seduce women. Not always in that order.

     These books are just short and fun. They cover a wide range of topics, from classic fantasy scenarios to vampires to the mafia to demons and devils, to sports, and a whole bunch of other things I'm forgetting. The only sad thing is that Mr. Asprin has passed, and there are a finite number of these books available.

2. Wayne's World

     There is a moral (actually several) to this movie, but let's be honest: this is a showcase for Dana Carvey and Mike Myers. That's all it needs to be. There's comedy, good music, good writing, and all that stuff, but that's not a reason to exist. Wayne's World exists to entertain.

     Maybe that's a point unto itself, but this is my list. 'Pointless but amazing movie' it is!

1.  This gif



No comments:

Post a Comment