Wednesday, August 13, 2014

The Sound of Silence

Yesterday, Robin Williams hung himself.

I was at my brother in law's house. Bahamute, Gizmo, and Grizz (names protected, but nobody's innocent) were playing Pathfinder (D&D). I was derping around online and decided to check my email.

Some images may be edited.

I saw Williams face and the headline. Robin Williams was Bahamute's favorite comedian, after George Carlin. How the hell was I going to break this news?

I could feign ignorance. The Daily show was a repeat, no danger of him seeing it there. The men were engaged with the game. Nobody would know except me.

No. Best it were done quickly.

"Oh...Oh no."

Bahamute knows that tone. "Honey?"

"It's...Robin Williams."

"What?"

I steeled myself. "Robin Williams, age 63, was found dead."

There was a moment of silence.

"What?"

"They think it was suicide. He was only 63." I'm already looking for other information, but it's mere minutes old. "Honey, I'm so sorry."

Grizz gets up and collects brandy and shot glasses. "I think a toast is appropriate. Godspeed Robin."

We clink and drink. The brandy numbs my tongue. I hug and kiss Bahamute. Thank God we're with family. Grizz and Gizmo are our favorite couple. We have a weekly date night. If anyone can take his mind off this, it'll be the three of us.

The game begins again. I post and reblog pictures and look for information. The men are laughing and playing.

Night at the Museum 3 is out in December. I think it's William's last complete movie. Guess I won't wait for the DVD after all.


It's a shitty story, and I'm sorry there's no punchline. This is the best I have.


No comments:

Post a Comment