Tuesday, October 7, 2014

Santa, Jesus, and Rita Moreno

Saturday was a big day, as I sighted all three of the titular individuals.

Let me back up.

I went to the Michigan Renaissance Festival Saturday where I spotted Santa (at the pub) and Jesus (at the front of the pub-crawl line). That was great all by itself. But then I went to the Redford Theater to see West Side Story. Rita Moreno (Anita) was there, and talked about the production of the movie, her work, and her book.

It was cool.

There were some surprises, for the audience and Mrs. Moreno. A troupe of local dancers performed 'America'. Rita graciously 'forgave' the blond girl who played her during the dance for not being Puerto Rican. The Redford always puts on a good show, and this kind of thing isn't uncommon when they have actors in house. A seat was also dedicated to Mrs. Moreno. She seemed to enjoy the proceedings.

82. Good Lord.

The strangest part of the night was listening to the lyrics of 'America', and 'Officer Krupke' and realizing that in the ___ years since it came out, all of it is still relevant. Racism and inequality are constantly in the news. Juvenile delinquency is very much in force, and the same reasons are still given for it.

I was going to quote the relevant lyrics, but there are so many it's easier just to show you. Go ahead, I'll wait.





See? That wasn't such a chore now was it? (in the words of Dr. Ray Stantz)

I enjoy much of this movie. If the romance were a little less...everything, I'd like it much better. Never cared for Romeo and Juliet, but this is probably my second favorite telling of the tale.

If only we could look on it and see only the past, it would be perfect...

No comments:

Post a Comment