Tuesday, June 13, 2017

...I was gone for THREE DAYS internet

So, I was on vacation this last weekend, with no internet access. And in that time, The Babadook became a LGBT icon.


For those of you who are unfamiliar with the top-hatted entity, The Babadook is the titular character from an Australian horror film; he moves into the home of a grieving wife and mother, tormenting her and her son. He also may be a physical embodiment of depression. Or not exist at all.


It's a really good, intense horror movie, with pretty much no gay over or undertones that I recall.

So why all of this?





For some reason, Netflix shuffled this into their LGBT category, and the internet ran with it. So, if you see a goth-looking specter at your local pride rally, that's why.





I'm not really sure how to feel about this. I've never seen a horror icon embraced so wholeheartedly by the LGBT community. Not even when Freddy Krueger was in the gayest horror movie of all time.

Seriously, there's a scene in a leather bar,  a guy is whipped to death, Freddy is trying to get into a young man's body, and the lead actress looks like Meryl Streep.

I'm not offended or displeased as a horror fan. My only worry is when people actually go watch the film. They are in for one hell of a shock. The Babadook is REALLY hardcore. It is not a loving, supportive entity. But if you want him for that, hey, more power too you.




Plus, I'd love to go to a rally and get a picture with some cosplayer...

No comments:

Post a Comment