Wednesday, July 16, 2014

Five weird island-nation foods

I think living on an island must do something to a culture. England, Japan, and Australia all have some...peculiarities.  This is the tip of the iceburg lettuce.

5. Beans on toast (England)

I like baked beans. I like toast. But the combination baffles me. I'd rather have a slice of regular toast on the side of the beans. It wouldn't be a good sandwich because the beans would go everywhere. What am I missing?


4.  Fairy Bread (Australia)

White bread with butter, and covered in nonpareils (sprinkles).  It's served at kids parties. As someone who used to eat white bread and butter as a kid at my Grandma's house, this actually sounds like a nice snack for kids. Weird, but not bad.


3. Shiokara (Japan)

A fish dish that consists of "mashed-up salted insides of various sea creatures that is left to ferment" that is an "acquired taste". It's been compared to anchovies, with a different texture. Hungry yet? It's also served in bars like a shot, followed by a shot of whiskey. Mm-mm.



2. Laver Bread (Wales/England)

Boiled Laver sewweed minced into gelatin. It can be fried and served with bacon, rolled in oats to form a patty or  used as a side dish for lamb or mutton. It's purportedly very good for you.

Frankly, I think it looks like a melted gremlin.












1. Marmite (England)

Another entry from across the pond, Marmite is a salty semi-beef flavored toast spread. It is polarizing to say the least. Not having tried it, I can't judge, but it doesn't seem popular even in its home country.

No comments:

Post a Comment