Monday, July 7, 2014

Sailor Moon Crystal

     I, like many of my internet brethren, just watched the first episode of Sailor Moon Crystal. And boy, was I...

Um

Well.

     Don't get me wrong, the animation was great. I loved the heavenly choir style of music, and the voices are a big improvement over the dubbed American version from the 90s. But I'm not crying with happiness like many of the other commentators seem to be.
*weeping* WHY CAN'T I HAVE LEGS THAT GOOD?! WAAAAH

     It was good. But anime like Fullmetal Alchemist has spoiled me. I expect a faithful, beautiful representation of the manga. And after buying and reading ALL of Sailor Moon over the last year, I'm pretty well versed in the mythos and madness.
Like this crucial scene

     So overall, happy but not out of my mind hysterical with joy. That's fine. Plain happiness is wonderful. Watching an anime shouldn't move me to tears except once in a while.
Go to hell, Shou Tucker. BURN.

     As a fan of the manga, I'd sure as hell recommend this version over the former one. No shoved-in morals, and Sailor Moon is stronger in this first episode than she was in most of the old series entire run.  The characterizations are better, the animation is cleaner looking, and the music is fab. Good introduction to the series if you're not familiar with it. 


So what are you waiting for? Take a peek!

No comments:

Post a Comment