Wednesday, July 30, 2014

...That did not just happen

Today (literally five minutes ago) I was alone at work when the doorbell chimed. I threw on my Important Manager's Jacket, and ran downstairs.

A young woman was crying softly.

'Oh no.' I smiled gently. A dead husband? She was alone, it was possible.

"Hi" she said, "I have an appointment for 10:30."

"Okay, do you know with who?" I asked, meeting her at the small staircase near the doors.

She frowned, misty eyed. "No."

"That's okay, we'll figure it out." My heart thuds. Nobody's here but me. Nobody said they had a meeting. Damnit! "If you'd like to have a seat in the arrangement room, I'll find out. Would you like a water?"

"Water would be great."

I showed her into the meeting room, and raced upstairs. I called the other offices. Nobody knew who she was or what was happening.

Time to do some investigating. I returned to the room, water and fancy napkin in hand. "Okay, here we are. How do you spell your first name?"

I got her information. She wasn't there for her husband. She was there for herself. No wonder she was crying! She probably had a terminal illness or something. How awful!

I continued to chatter, making her smile and even laugh. I told her about how we were one branch of several funeral homes, and our directors sometimes were a little late, apologizing all the way. The office phone rang. Our pre-need counselor was en route, but she had no recollection of any appointment.

'Maybe she made an appointment with (similar-sounding) funeral home.' I smiled. We were gonna poach a client!

We chatted some more. After a while her phone rang.

"I'm....I'm...where am I?"

I told her our name and location, and gave her a piece of paper stating the name as well.

Her eyes went wide. "Oh! Down Cass Lake road. I'll be right there."

There are no other funeral homes on Cass Lake road. What the hell?

She hung up. The mystery was apparently solved. "If you don't mind my asking, where were you supposed to be?"

She licked her lips. "The Harbor Chiropractic clinic."

I blinked. I blinked again. "That's....a bit different from what we do."

"Yeah." She smiled apologetically and collected her things. "My mom said to come here, and I saw the sign."

"Well, if you ever want to talk to someone about what we do, I'm in 10-4." I held in a laugh as I saw her out.

What the actual hell? I said 'funeral' a dozen times. Did she not know she was coming to a chiropractic clinic? Did she think her mother had sent her here because she was dying?! What the hell?!

I informed the rest of the office and we had a good laugh. People. Just wow.

No comments:

Post a Comment