Monday, November 10, 2014

Five Things I've Learned at the vet

Working as a Vet Tech has been an enlightening experience. Here are a few of the most interesting things I've learned so far.

5. Worms are shaped like lemons

To be specific, Whipworms (a problem found in dogs) look like brown lemons under a microscope. I've also seen roundworms, but they are literally just circles.

Brown, ugly lemons.

This isn't exactly useful knowledge without a microscope and a fecal sample. Luckily, I have access to those things.

Often more than I want.

4. Big dogs are usually better patients.

Little dogs, in my experience, are far worse patients. They're more likely to snap and kick than their bigger counterparts. Not that all big dogs are good: I nearly got bitten by an escape artist yesterday that got out of his muzzle three times.

This, but life size.

And there are little dogs that are sweethearts. But if I've got two dogs of different sizes, usually the little one will be the bigger ass.

3. Accidents happen, but not that often

I've cleaned up spilled pee on average less than once a day at my location. Poop even less, especially outside our kennels. It does happen, so don't feel bad about your animal having an accident. Just know it's not as common as you've been led to think.

Yes, we lie. But look at that face! He's been punished enough.


2. We will try and upsell you (for the greater good)

There are things I'm encouraged to sell at the hospital: post-surgery canned food, extra IV fluids, and a host of medicine. And they are all very good products. Many of our techs use the very items we recommend to you. If your tech says something is 'highly recommended', LISTEN. An extra $10 now means Fido or Fluffy are going to recover faster, with less pain, or just be happier. We're not trying to scam you.

These scrubs mean business!

1. Don't be offended

We had a crazy cat lady (the official term) come in for over an hour to discuss what kind of medication her cats needed for itching. When my coworker named fleas as a possible cause, the woman started screaming. She also complained about us not being able to diagnose the cats sight unseen, and not having a non-existent product that would "Kill EVERYTHING that could possibly harm my cats!"


Don't be offended if we can't help without seeing the animal. Don't be offended if we suggest the animal may have fleas. We're not judging you or saying you're a bad owner, I promise. Just don't act like we're there to screw you over and we'll get along fine. 

No comments:

Post a Comment