Thursday, March 2, 2017

Coming home to roost

Last year I watched one of the scariest movies I've ever seen. One so disturbing that neither I, nor my watching companion Grizz, will be watching again soon, if ever.

The Babadook.


Spoilers will be in effect, so if you haven't seen this film and still intend to, stop reading. I'll have another blog soon.

The Babadook is, on it's face, a story about a strange entity haunting an odd little boy, and his emotionally distant mother. Once you dig in, it's the story of how grief and depression will never truly leave you, how you can let it make you into a monster, and how it may be tameable, but never beatable.

This movie handled those complex topics so well, I don't know if the monster was real or not, AND I DO NOT CARE.

There are plenty of horror movies with roots buried in societal fears; zombie movies are 'us vs. them', as is Pod People, and any other number of flicks. Argument are made about horror movies encouraging virginity, abstinence, and female empowerment with the use of idyllic Survivor Girls. Freddy Kruger is adult fear that that cannot protect their children, fear of coming out of the closet, or any other number of things. But the subtex is just that' subtext. The Babadook screams its message along with it's croak of "Ba ba dook...dook...doooook!"

Which brings me to Get Out.

I'm seeing this film tonight with friends. Jordan Peele, the write and director, and half of one of my favorite comedy teams, has said his film is about liberal white racism, and that he hopes to make a slew of 'social demon' horror movies.

The reviews and box office have both been positive for Get Out, and I'm excited to see it. Overt social commentary handled skilfully could be the next big thing for horror, and if The Babadook is its herald, I'm all for it. The industry needs a shot in the arm, and the slew of tired remakes we've been subjected to hasn't helped.
Presented without comment.

I'll post a proper review of Get Out when I'm able, but for now I'm prepping for a night of scares and thought. Excited these are going hand in hand once more.


No comments:

Post a Comment