Thursday, March 16, 2017

Silver Eyes, or, what's the fuss about?

I just finished reading the tie-in novel for the FNAF series, The Silver Eyes. As mentioned previously, I found the book underwhelming to okay. The additional lore was worth the read, and the main character actually had character. I'm looking forward to wasting my time with the follow up novel set for this summer, The Twisted Ones.
This one is based on the game that takes place in the nightmares of a dying child! Hooray!

The book was published for teens, so I didn't go in expecting greatness. The problem is the action is limited, with almost no scares, and very little bloodshed. Goosebumps is scarier than this.

Most FNAF fans aren't enraged over the lacking story; it's the deviations from the game that madden them. For example, the animatronic eyes are brighter and differently colored.
 
Blasphemy!

Scott Cawthon has stated the INFO in the books is canon, but it also takes place in a separate timeline from the games. That translates roughly to "Just repeat to yourself it's just a franchise, I should really just relax."
See the SOL for greater detail (now on Netflix!).

As much as I like preserving every detail, there have to be allowances for changes in medium. I can allow for an altered story or details, if the changes make sense, I.E. dropping Jud Crandall's wife from the Pet Semetary movie since her impact on the plot was negligible. Changes for change sake are where I need to draw the line.
We don't speak it's name, lest it hear and return.

The TLDR of this is that The Silver Eyes is no great horror novel, but it does flesh-out the lore of FNAF, and it's totally readable. Just don't expect to enjoy it more than watching Markiplier do a lets-play.
Or even this reaction compilation.








No comments:

Post a Comment