Thursday, May 4, 2017

The Dark Tower Trailer


Yes, the trailer for The Dark Tower has dropped. Watch it, it's only a few minutes long.

Short answer, I'm conflicted.

I'll keep this spoiler free, as it's been a while since I've read the books, and Bahamute is reading it now. If you want something with spoilers for the books, and more speculation, this Wired article has you covered. I may do an in-depth analysis of the books, ala my IT blogs, when I'm done with them.

I love the casting of Idris Elba as Roland and Matthew McConaughey as The Man in Black. I like the style of the trailer, as it evokes the epic nature of the series, and the lines I can remember seem correct (it's been a while).



My biggest issue is that they're showing footage of events that happen in later books. If this changes the ending of the first book, which is looks like it has too, I hope they're planning ahead for those ramifications. Also, I really like the ending and the events they're likely skipping over.

TLDR: I can understand simplifying the story for the movie, but I don't have to like it.

I also hope The Tower is discussed more fully in the movie, as the line about what it is and what it does is far too brief.

Also, what the fuck is up with this?!


That says Pennywise, and is clearly part of a statue of Pennywise holding his famous lure, balloons. But...WHY?! I'm kinda excited to know.

Also, Roland shouldn't be on earth now. That seriously screws up later books. But again, if they're planning and it's part of the medium shift, it can work. Can. With hard work and planning/


On the plus side, I know what this is, and it looks perfect. Too bad it's two books early...(see my earlier remarks).


I need to see a longer trailer, but for sure they're using a lot of stuff from later books, and I'm not happy about that. I hope they're taking that into consideration, as it could really screw up movies two and three if they're not careful. But if they are, this could be really great.

Now, to wait for more footage...


 OKAY, one SPOILER filled thing that makes it all better. DO NOT READ unless you've finished the books. Seriously.




SERIOUSLY.






Okay, if you're sure.








SERIOUSLY. HUGELY GIGANTIC SPOILERS.



There's speculation that this is just another cycle of Roland's journey: a sequel to the events of the books, which explains any changes. Until I get a better idea, I really, really like that one. If that's the case, this will be awesome, no matter what.

No comments:

Post a Comment