Wednesday, May 3, 2017

The IT Spot: Rereading part 4

Haunt: to visit often.

Haunt: a lair or feeding place of animals.

These definitions are the opening part to one of the interlude sections, where Mike Hanlon, the one who stayed at home, digs into Derry's history. He opens by asking if a whole town can be haunted, and speculating on the animals in the town that killed Adrian Mellon, and that feed there in other ways.

I haunt Derry. I've haunted it for nineteen years. Is my reading feeding? Is Derry a haunt where I return to feed on horror and pain as much as IT does?

In Derry, I am a passive haunter. I return over and over to my favorite wells, King, Gaiman, Craven. I sup on horror easily, and often. I don't kill people, or hurt them to cause fear. I just sup on the false fear other others.

There are plenty of people that would call me a monster for reading (feeding), and King one for creating the haunt. I'm quick to snap at critics that judge me, or my haunts.I defend my haunts, gather with others in reality and online to commiserate over our haunts, to learn of new haunts, better haunts, older haunts lost to time.

Occasionally I create my own haunts here and there, letting others sup while I move on to greener, or redder pastures.

I'm not hear to say the haunts are good or bad, that I haunt for gain or ill. It's just something I've thought about a lot lately.

I am haunted by IT as much as I haunt IT. I think King might appreciate that thought.

SPOILERS

As for observations on the first Interlude section itself, it's mostly Mike speaking to his wailing wall, begging God not to let his fears about the cycle be true, that IT has returned. of course, we know IT has returned, as Mike has already his his fatal calls.

He speculates on how it may kill the others, giving a reason for each...aside from Stan. He just asks who won't return: 'Stan Uris?' and leaves it at that. Did Mike always know Stan would choose to kill himself rather than face IT? Is that why he spends so little time dwelling on it, not listing Stan's wife, or home, or tidy mind that couldn't quite forget as the others did?

I think he must have known. Stan mimed killing himself at 11 years old, when they made the pact. He was always a little too far into the land of grownups. For Stan, going back was worse than death: it was the death of logic and adulthood. In the end, he chose to die in the comfort of his home, rather than the dank sewers. I can understand the sentiment...if it didn't mean breaking the ka-tet and leaving his friends much more vulnerable, possibly dooming them, the town, and the innumerable victims of IT still to come.

The repercussions aren't laid bare, but they are there. Did more children die because the losers club was down by one? Did Mike get stabbed because of it? Did Eddie die because Stan broke the protection of the ka-tet?

I think so.

SAFE

This has been a long entry. That will happen, as for the first time I'm trying to take a real investigative approach to IT: with over 1000 pages of reading (and nearly that many left to go), my observations are bound to start meandering. I'll try to keep these diatribes to at most every other blog. Join me tomorrow for something else from pop culture, politics, or whatever else draws my attention!

No comments:

Post a Comment