Thursday, July 6, 2017

Panic! At the Fandom

I've never seen an episode of Supernatural, and I don't plan on starting ever. I've only seen 2 of Dr. Who. And I've only just begun Steven Universe. What do these shows have in common?

Aside from hundreds of memes.

They have intensely devoted fandoms. Like, you know the stereotype of the Star Trek nerd who learns Klingon, carries a bat'leth, and spends days debating Kirk vs Picard? All of these fandoms have their own versions.

Granted, intense, or dangerous fans of anything are nothing new. You can find people obsessing over almost every show, to unhealthy levels. Game of Thrones fans naming their kids Circe and Jamie. The guy who dressed as The Joker who pointed a gun at traffic. And the many, many shooters who claim Catcher in the Rye inspired them.

I too have been a obsessive fan of many things. The Simpsons, Ghostbusters/The Real Ghostbusters, Futurama, and A Nightmare on Elm Street come to mind. But I've never obsessed to the point of detriment. No spending money I can't afford on paraphernalia, no buying items I don't need to 'complete' the collection, no harassing other fans for their lack of knowledge on the subject, or claiming they're not 'real' fans (a practice known as gatekeeping). So being obsessed in and of itself doesn't turn me off. If something's good, of course people are going to obsess, and go a little overboard.

This wasn't even an opening event. I was just with friends (trimmed to protect the innocent).

There are 2 reasons I refuse to begin watching Supernatural: the proclaimed drop in quality after some specific, early season (I think 6), and the fans on Tumblr constantly screaming about the amazing show that I MUST love, since I also like Sherlock.

The connection there is baffling to me: fans of Dr. Who and Sherlock I get, Steven Moffat is involved with both. But how does the distinctly American Supernatural fit into the SuperWhoLock triad?


The Dr. Who fandom is actually not so bad in comparison; understanding the connection between it and Sherlock is helpful. Plus, many of my friends are fans, unlike Supernatural. I may eventually get to Dr. Who, but I'm not jumping at it.

Steven Universe is the one I face with the most trepidation.

Pure terror.

To be brief, a kid with magic powers hangs out with women with magic powers and saves the world. He's a good kid, and it's a light, fun show.

Until the episode Cat Fingers. Watch at your own risk.

My brother in law got me into the show recently. I've been curious for a long time, hearing about how the show addresses dark, deep issues, while keeping a fun tone (mostly). I've really liked the episodes I've seen, and I'll be watching more.

The problem, again, is the fandom. The most striking example of that problem is the story of Zamii.

 Zamii is an artist who drew a picture of one of the characters thinner than she is drawn in the show. In response, other fans on the internet bullied Zamii until she tried to kill herself. She's getting the help she needs now, thank God.

A Co-Producer of the show had this to say: "Fanartists can create whatever art they want & everyone has the freedom to criticize it for any reason. However, bullying is not criticism."

This resulted in the 'fans' turning on THE PEOPLE WHO MADE THE SHOW.

 I'm not afraid of internet bullies. But the toxicity of this subset of fans is off-putting. I'm not the only one who's noticed, or stayed away from a show, book, or movie due to toxic, gatekeeping, dangerous fans.

I'm obsessed. I'm obsessed with funny things, scary things, weird things. I'll buy toys and books and shirts and DVDs. I'll talk your ear off. I'll write blogs about the things I love. I'll do everything I can to entice you, excite you, include you in this thing I love.

The moment I start telling you that you're garbage for not being as obsessed as I am? Or because you're doing something different than the cannon? Or telling you that you're not a "real fan" because of ANYTHING?

Take me out, because I've been replaced by a pod person.

No comments:

Post a Comment