Wednesday, July 5, 2017

Rays of Ravishing Light and Glory

In my 4th of July viewing, my husband and I watched a few things that spoke to use. 1776, The Simpson's episode about Immigration, and Futurama's freedom of speech 'Freedom Day' episode in particular.

As I write, I'm watching the number my husband performed 8 years ago when we did the show.


The wars, the strife, and the murders that still continue because of this. The hypocrisy. Our country was born in blood, and rife with blood it lives.

And even if you forget this stain, we still have the anti-immigration, pro-isolationism bent haunting us.


And lest we forget, the press and our freedom of speech may be next. The White House won't let reporters tape press sessions any more. The person elected to our highest office lies and denies facts, while bullying people over the internet.


Never say I don't love my country. But never think I've ignored where we came from, what it cost us to get here, and how far we still have to go. Out nation is far from perfect.

I have no idea if the founding fathers would be proud or angry or rolling in their graves over things like abortion rights, or gerrymandering, or taxation laws. I'm no historian, or medium. All I am is someone who is proud to be an American. And I'll do everything, say everything, write everything I can, to remain proud of of this nation, its ideals, and its future.

The founding fathers fought for our rights to do just that. And I'm damn well not going to let that go to waste.

No comments:

Post a Comment