Monday, May 19, 2014

Five Favorite Sherlock adaptations

I've read all the books and short stories that Sir Arthur Conan Doyle produced, but sometimes a fan needs more! I'm excluding the BBC Sherlock because I've already talked about it, it's a bit on the nose, and because I have five others I can talk about just as easily.

     My two favorite characters playing two of my other favorite characters, while crazy holodeck villains become real? This is the perfect episode! 
     Plus Moriarty is played by Niles from The Nanny, so that's a plus. He even comes back in a later episode, but the initial shock of realizing they've created life is too priceless to give up. 



     Many people complained about this adaptation, saying Holmes was too action hero, and not enough detective. I'd like to remind everyone that Holmes boxing was cannon from Doyle himself. Holmes was a bit of an action hero. It's about time that was acknowledged.


For your comparison pleasure.

     I love the charisma between Downey and Jude Law. I love that Watson is just as bright as he should be, and that the schemes are grand and amazing. And I LOVE that Mycroft is played by Stephen Fry in the sequel. He's so sassy! Just like Stephen Fry IRL. 


3. Psych
    Prefer your detectives a little more lighthearted? Than Psych is for you. It's a good deal looser than the other adaptations on this list as well. Watson has become Burton "Gus" Guster, a pharmaceutical rep. Lestrade is Lassiter, a hard-nosed detective who HATES Shawn Spencer and...Okay, that's dead on. 
     This is a goofy show (as goofy as it can be with all the murder), and just plain fun. Shawn (Holmes) isn't socially maladjusted: he's actually a good guy, and a lot of fun. Most of the connection can be seen between him and Gus, as their patter is just perfect. Plus, they've been BFF since they were eight, and the show shows that A LOT.


     Based on a book series I haven't read, this movie heralded the beginning of the Disney Renaissance.  Technically it exists alongside Holmes (as the mice live below him, and we clearly hear Watson and Holmes talking), but I'm still counting it.
     Professor Ratigan is played by the late Vincent Price, and gets the old decent song in the picture. It's said that this was Price's all time favorite role. You can hear why: He's loving every minute of this over-the-top romp. Dawson is still a little too Basil Rathbone fat bumbling Watson for my tastes, but he's a damn sight closer to Watson as written that that. One of my favorite Disney movies.

     I'm currently in the middle of this show, never having finished it in the official run. All this is is a modern AU where they're all doctors. Also, House and Wilson are totally boning.
     Love Hugh Laurie, love Robert Sean Leonard, just LOVE LOVE LOVE this show. 

No comments:

Post a Comment