Wednesday, June 11, 2014

I hate Marvel

For anyone who hasn't heard (though I'm writing this as it happens, so most people will know by the time it's posted), Edgar Wright, the genius behind Shaun of the Dead, Hot Fuzz, and The World's End, has left the Ant-Man project.  Marvel says the split was 'amiable' but I think that's a bunch of crap.

I'm part of a very small group of fans that gives a crap about Ant-Man. Edgar Wright co-wrote the script, and has been trying to get this movie made since 2006. I have waited almost ten years for this movie, whose 2015 premier date has not been changed to accommodate this.

I WAS CHEATED.

Marvel STOLE something I've been waiting for for eight years. They STOLE eight years of excitement and turned it into hate. THAT'S NOT FAIR. I want my Wright helmed Ant-Man. I don't want a TV Tropes 'What Could Have Been' page about how great Wright's original vision was that the studio ruined. I WANT MY MOVIE.

I don't care what Wright wanted to do that Marvel objected to, or how dumb/expensive/weird/destructive it sounded. His record stands for itself: It was going to be good.

What little chance the movie had of succeeding is gone. If it's a success it's going to be in spite of this loss, not because of it. But it won't. We're gong to get another Hulk: a character that can't sustain a movie by itself.

I know I'm just ranting. I don't care. I'm mad and I'm gonna rant. I get to be mad about this.

I don't want to give Marvel my money to see this movie, but I'm weak. They'll probably get my money.

I'm so tired to being told I'm getting a specific movie and getting something different. The Guillermo Del Toro Hobbit. Freddy Vs. Jason Vs. Ash. A Batman  movie with Harley Quinn. Sean Connery at Morpheus in The Matrix. Ghostbusters 3 (I blame that on Bill Murray, not the late Harold Ramis btw).  A SANDMAN MOVIE. EVER.

Stop teasing me. Do something or don't. Don't halfway write a movie or cast it, release information prematurely and change it. If I had never heard about this movie or Wright being the director, then I wouldn't care about these changes.

I hate marvel of the information age.

UPDATE

A new director has been chosen (I knew this blog would take a while to be published). It's a man named Peyton Reed. His most recent movie was Yes Man with Jim Carrey.

The problem, besides him not being Wright for the project? He developed those horrible Fantastic Four movies that are now being rebooted. WHY THE FUCK IS MARVEL HANDING HIM ANOTHER PROJECT TO FUCK UP?! WHY?!


UPDATE

Peyton developed A treatment for Fantastic Four. It might not have been THE treatment the terrible movies got. But in the words of Yul Brenner "This doesn't mean that I like you."

Prove yourself, Reed. 

No comments:

Post a Comment