Monday, September 15, 2014

Service

I'm having issues.

My long time readers know that I recently moved to a new location in the same company. Same position, same pay, waaay more stress. I went from 6 hours a day five days a week mere minutes from my home to 8 hours a day four days a week, a bit further away.

I had to stop writing this entry to help an apprentice director, take a death call, and get told how to do that better by my boss. My stomach is cramping just thinking about it.

I saw one person for a few minutes a day, on average. Now I'm surrounded by people. My main boss (let's call him The Wiz), the one who stresses me the most, shares a wall with me. The others I get along with fine. He's a good funeral director, but a terrible manager. Terrible just business-wise: The Wiz does everything wrong, according to all the 'how to be a good manager' classes I had to take online.

So I've been stressed. Stress dreams, physical complains, psychological issues: It's been a helluva time.

Today was the first day back from a long, much needed vacation in Ohio with the family. This morning my Mother recounted some woes and the fact that she's taken herself off her own medication since medication is 'bad for you.' I was stressed before I even got out the door. First day back, last week was terrible. I was not looking for a good day.

I got in, and things looked better: I only had a small pile of new work, far below was I feared. The Wiz wasn't in yet and I buzzed through my few assignments. I felt a little better, but not much.

Then someone brought in their puppy.

The Wiz cooed and petted the puppy, as did I and the rest of the office. My stomach ache evaporated. My head cleared. My heart lightened. In a few moments, I was at peace and feeling great.

I know very little about mental health service dogs. I do know that being around a dog or a cat can cheer me up and de-stress me. Petting Harley before or after a long day of work helps keep me together. Petting and snuggling that puppy gave me a boost I didn't know I needed.

I feel like a new person after going to the bark park, even sans dog. Being around dogs is good for my mind, body, and soul. I've known that for years. I moonlight as a pet-sitter at least once a month. I'd love to do that full time, but I'm not confident that it could support my family.

My mental health issues are self diagnosed. I think I may need to seek a professional and get an expert to declare me...whatever I am. I don't know if a service animal is right for me, but I'd sure prefer that to a handful of pills. If I even need that. For now, I'll plan a trip to the park.

My stomach hurts.

2 comments:

  1. Mental health service dogs are hard to get. You also have to prove you trained the dog to DO SOMETHING other than just be around. We've all had that thought.

    Therapy dogs however are easy to train. Their are actually no requirements but it's a good idea to get them through the Good Canine Citizenship test. It wouldn't help you at work but having a therapy dog would be rewarding for you to take and make other people feel better.

    Just having a dog at home helps. I walk my dog through campus on the weekends and the dog starved dorm-dwellers just love on him. It makes everyone happy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Actually...if you had a therapy dog you might be able to take him to work. Therapy dogs can work with the bereaved. hmmm....

    ReplyDelete