Tuesday, March 21, 2017

A new adventure (and by adventure, I mean not that)

After finishing Puella Magi Madoka Magica I found myself without an anime for a bit. Lucky for me, The Devil is a Part Timer! is back on netflix.

Time to go to MgRonald's to celebrate.

This is one of those shows where I watched a few episodes, then Netflix dumped it. It's only been a little while, so I didn't need to rewatch the first two episodes again to recall the premise; The Dark Lord Satan (not our satan, seems to be more of a title) his demon first officer, and the hero who's trying to kill them, are expelled from their fantasy world into modern day Japan. Satan, now a human teen must get a part time job at a fast food joint to survive. Oh the hijinks!

Surprisingly, there's not a lot of 'I'm Satan, bow before me!' humor going on. The Devil, now called Sadao Maou, is just interested in working hard to rise in the world. Granted, this is so he can get back to the other dimension and take it over, but he's nice to his lieutenant/roommate, the coworker crushing on him, and even the hero who's still pursuing him.

It's not what I expected, and that's part of the fun. The joke of 'I'm so much better than you.' would wear thin pretty fast. The 'WTF, he's literally satan, why is he just being a normal dude?' is pretty fun.
Satan is adorable!

I'm only three episodes in, but this is another anime with few episodes (13) so I'll get through the rest in a week or so.  No idea what I'll watch next. Maybe they'll bring back 'My Bride is a Mermaid...'

Makes sense in context.

No comments:

Post a Comment