Wednesday, April 5, 2017

Batman & Harley Quinn: Voices, quotes, and plots, oh my!

Kevin Conroy, aka The Best Batman tweeted an important announcement last night:


So, we finally know who will be voicing Harley in the now titled "Batman and Harley Quinn" movie.  The...who is this chick?


Oh, Bernadette from The Big Bang Theory. That's where I know Melissa  Rauch from! I like her on that well enough.

Rauch had this to say about her role: "I love that Harley is a badass and, beyond that, that she uses her humor as another weapon in her arsenal. She knows just how to diffuse a situation with her humor, and how to incite a situation with her sarcasm. It's a dream role."

Okay, good start. But will this Harley sound just like Bernadette? Apparently not: "I knew Harley had a higher pitched tone, and a bit of a New York accent — and I come from a New Jersey family where everyone could be former gun molls. So I wanted to give a nod to my background without being as shrill. In all honesty, I used to speak exactly like that — my acting school professors really worked the accent out of me. So it was fun to find those tones and accent again."

Hey, not too shabby! Apparently this film will center on Harley, Batman, and Nightwing (played by Loren Lester from the classic DCAU) fighting Poison Ivy (played by Paget Brewster) and Jason Woodrue, aka Plant Master, aka Floronic Man.

I know Woodrue from Swamp Thing, where he doesn't get along with the titular character.

At least he didn't wind up in hell, like the last guy who crossed ol' Swampy.

This is not the weirdest team up, plant villain and plant villain. They've even worked together in a terrible anti-pot comic.
See Linkara for a more in-depth analysis.

I'm more interested in the dynamic between Harley and Ivy, who have ranged from bitter enemies, to close friends, to straight-up lovers. Whatever is causing her to work with Bats is gonna be interesting at least.

Not that they haven't collaborated before.

I'll post more when I get it, but this a good start.




No comments:

Post a Comment