Sunday, May 5, 2013

Dilbert

With the advent of Netflix, many older shows that only lasted a season or two are coming back into the public eye. One of my favorite programs in this category is the Dilbert animated series.

I own several of Scott Adams books, including The Dilbert Principal, The Dilbert Future, and assorted cartoon collections. All of them are funny and insightful: some scarily so now that I work in an office (And a manger! At least I'm not a Pointy-Haired Boss. Yet). The animated series is just as much fun, if a bit lighter on the actual science stuff.

You've gotta love the voice actors: Dilbert is grown-up Kevin Arnold, Dogbert is Lily's Dad,  The PHB is Mr. Poole ESQ, and a whole host of others. Even over ten years later, Ratbert still sounds like Sponge Bob. Then again, I have an uncanny knack for determining who a voice actor is. For example, did you know The World's Smartest Garbage Man, Egon, Morbo, The Brain, and Kiff Kroker are the same man? But I digress.

The animation looks like it jumped right off Scott Adams notebook. Simplistic, but colorful and fun. No beauty there, but the idea of Art is somewhat foreign to engineers.

The writing is fine. If you like the 3 panel cartoons, you'll like the show. Millions of readers can't be wrong! Well...I suppose they could be wrong...I'd have to find some data on amount of people inverse to quality of whatever it is they adore...Aw, damnit Jim, I'm a writer not an engineer!
Anyway, if you missed this series in the early 2000s, I encourage you to check it out. People are still dumb, lazy, and stupid. Business still tries to suck every last dollar out of our pockets. Work still sucks. Might as well have a laugh about it before you head back to your cubical.

No comments:

Post a Comment